Saturday, January 5, 2008

Nothing is impossible when you suck

I prove once again I may be the worst golfer in the world.

My Mother bought be a set of Birdieballs for a Christmas gift this year. Birdieballs are limited distance plastic practice 'balls'. They go a maximum of approximately 60 yards, no matter what club you hit them with. They also spin like real golf balls; if you hit one with an open club face, the 'ball' will slice.

In anticipation of 60 degree weather around here while I'm on vacation, I take the box of twelve out, along with an 5 iron and a 7 iron, to the backyard for some practice. And I need it, as the pulls have come to my home for the winter. Adding insult to injury is the fact that, from where I am swinging, sever pulls leave my yard and hit the street (slices hit the house; I tagged my home once, causing no damage).

Starting with the 7 iron, I put a few 'balls' on the sidewalk outside my yard. the didn't go far and were easily retrievable. I switched to the 5 iron (the 'balls' do go farther with a lower lofted club, but not much farther) and put a couple over the fence. The first was also easily retrievable. The second 'ball' I could hear hit concrete. I went to look for it, and couldn't find it.

To sum up, I lost a training 'ball' which, by design, should be almost impossible to lose. Perhaps I'll be able to find it tomorrow, when it is sunny.

No comments: